This past year has brought many changes to our lives, and we have been busier than ever (or so it seems). Nathan has grown and changed and learned so much this year, and we both have enjoyed it tremendously. Nathan started walking right at the end of December 2010 with a few steps and was taking off full speed only a few weeks later (which explains why we are so busy). He is a very curious and helpful little boy. Nate started his first year using baby sign language and began mixing in some words around March. Once Nate hit 18 months old the amount of words he could say just took off. Since then I’ve lost count of how many words he knows (yes I actually had a list going in the beginning). We call Nate our little parrot, and he loves to give us a running commentary of what he is doing. He still makes us laugh at least ten times a day, even when he’s being a little stinker. Nate loves books and is currently in a stage of wanting us to read 5+ books a day. His favorite toys right now are cars, and he’s got quite a collection after his birthday. I’m sure the next year is going to bring just as many fun changes and challenges.
We have all been very involved in church this year. Eddie blessed Nate in front of our church, family, and friends in February. In May, Eddie, Nate, and I were sealed in the Las Vegas Temple. This was like a vow renewal that included Nate on a more eternal level. This was a very special and important day for us. Eddie and I have both been busy with our callings in church. Eddie works with the young men and I work with the Primary children. Nate goes to nursery and does very well. Nate can even sit (and stand and play) through Sacrament Meeting without having to leave now.
At the beginning of August Eddie started a job at Zappos, an online shoe company that has a very large office in Las Vegas. He is currently working on the Customer Loyalty Team, but is hoping to be able to get into some other positions within the company in the near future. Some of the perks of working at Zappos are the free (and very good) food and the nap room where Eddie spends many lunch breaks since he wakes up so early.
I started substitute teaching a few days a week in the spring and went through the application process to get back into the hiring pool for a teaching position. Considering the economy and budget cuts I was lucky to get several calls for interviews about 2 weeks before school started this year. To make a long and complicated story short, I got a job as a long-term substitute teaching 2 half-day Kindergarten classes at French Elementary with hopes of a contract. Six weeks into the school year I got bumped out of my position by a contracted teacher, and was offered a job teaching full-day Kindergarten at Keller Elementary. I got my contract at the end of my first week there. So needless to say this school year has been a rollercoaster ride, and I have been very busy. Kindergarten is a learning experience for me to say the least, but it’s going well. Nate is lucky enough to being with Grandma or Grandpa Atwood 3 days a week and with Eddie 2 days a week while I am working. We are so grateful that while we are working Nate is being doted on by one or two of his grandparents. We couldn’t ask for anything better.
In all of our spare time we have been introducing Nate to several musical instruments. Eddie plays guitar on a regular basis and Nate, of course, wants to play as well. He can get Eddie’s guitar out of the case and lay it across his lap and “play” it by himself. We also acquired my parents’ piano this year so I have been teaching myself some songs. Nate likes to compose his own songs on the piano. We both enjoy music so much that we hope that Nate will continue to be interested when he is older and learn to play one or more of these instruments properly.
We are so thankful for all of the blessings and wonderful people that have been part of our journey this year. Even though our lives our busy we still find time to spend together as a family everyday. We hope that your Christmas season is filled with much love and happiness.
Love,
Eddie, Nicole, Nate, Robyn and Phantom
0 comments:
Post a Comment