CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 29, 2009

All About Books

For the past year I've kept a journal/log of the books I've been reading. That way it is easy for me to look back at what I've read and recommend a book to someone or simply remember that I've read something. This is what I've read in March:

Rich Dad, Poor Dad - I've mentioned it before. It gave Eddie and I a whole new perspective on jobs and finances.

Flip Side by Flip Flippen - A lot of my coworkers participated in a paid book club after school and discussed this book. I didn't want to spend more time at work so I got the book and read it on my own. The purpose of the book is to identify your constraints (there are 10 of them) that hold you back from being the most successful that you can be at work and in your personal life. Then the book help you write an action plan for overcoming those constraints. The constraints have funny names and I am an ostrich and a marshmallow. You'd have to read the book to understand what that means. I highly recommend this book.

The Shack by Wm. Paul Young - I'd heard this was an excellent book for several people so I read it. It's about a man dealing with a tragedy in his life and finding God in the process. It's very different, but interesting. It makes you think about something things. I don't know that I liked it as much as some people, but I don't regret reading it either.


Back in October I discovered that Barnes and Noble has a really good book club message board where people can talk about book related topics and have discussions about particular books. I don't really keep up with any of the discussion there, but I discovered something called the First Look Book Club. Barnes and Noble has copies of a book available before the book is released to the public. They give you a synopsis of the book and if you are interested you can e-mail them to sign up for the club. They send you a copy of the book for free and then you read and participate in the discussion they have about the book online. The author joins in the discussion as well. I did one in October and I just signed up for another First Look Book that is a historical fiction book about the Salem witch trials. It should be interesting. There is nothing better than a free book. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment