CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Book Club

I have always loved to read, but since last summer I have been reading non-stop. I have also come to the conclusion that talking with other people about a book I've read makes the reading experience even better. I started a little book club with some other teachers and my school at the beginning of the school year. There are 3 of us that have met consistently, with a few other people popping in for certain books. It's great to be able to share your opinions about a book and gain insights from other people. So far we've read: The Time Traveler's Wife, Nineteen Minutes, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, and Island of Lost Girls. We are currently reading Second Chance, which I have just finished. So far I have enjoyed every book we've read, some more than others. I have been reading many books on my own in addition to the books for the book club. I am trying to challenge myself by reading some Classics in addition to everything else. I have had a voracious appetite for reading lately, and the list of books I want to read keeps growing. Does anyone have any must reads that I should add to my list?

1 comments:

Mike

I was browsing through the Classics section of Barnes and Noble recently. I came upon "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, which I highly recommend. I read this book several years ago and almost purchased it for a re-read. I first heard about this book during a college history class. The immigrant family in the novel came to the U.S. about the same time as my great-grandfather arrived in the U.S., so I could relate to the time period. The book centers around this family and the meatpacking industry of the early 1900s.

The book I instead choose to purchase at Barnes and Noble was "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave" written by Frederick Douglass. I am currently about half way through this book and, at this point, would recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning more about slavery in America from an ex-slave's perspective. The narrative was first published in 1845.

Other classics I have read and would recommend are "Main Street" (1920), "It Can't Happen Here" (1935) and "Babbitt" (1922). These three books were all written by Sinclair Lewis.

Post a Comment