CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 29, 2014

An Obstacle Course Adventure

On a whim I signed all 3 of us up for an obstacle course race at the end of May. Piece of cake for Eddie, but this was out of my league. I regretted signing up about a week later when my training taper off to a whole lot of nothing due to lack of motivation and being busy. Training during Spring Break is much easier. I couldn't back out because I had asked a teacher friend to do it with me and I had already paid for it. All I wanted was to get through and I thought it would be really hard since I was not in running shape and I'm a complete wuss when it comes to any upper body things.

Not only did I make it through, I had fun and could have gone another mile. The race was a 7K (about 4.3 miles) with 40 obstacles. The only thing I couldn't do was climb a rope straight up. I completed everything else including some very tall obstacles. I am scared of heights usually, but I didn't have any problems. We didn't have anyone to take pictures while we were racing, but there are a couple of pictures taken by photographers that we found on Facebook.

A little wet and muddy.

My friend Roxanne and I almost to the top, and Eddie right behind me.



After we finished we waiting around for a few hours for Nate's race to start. They had a shortened Kids' Dash. He ran in the 4-6 age group, which was about 200 meters. Shorter than we expected. We chased after him with the camera and got a few shots.






Look at that intense face!




Even though some of the obstacles were challenging for him, he was very upset that it was over so fast. The wave of older kids hadn't gone off yet, so we let him jump in with the 7-12 year old age group. This one was a mile and he did everything except one water obstacle. They used a section of the adult course for this. He was in his element. He's very serious about his racing and likes a good challenge. It was so much fun to watch him race.











This one was really high, but he did it all on his own.








It was a long day, but we had a lot of fun. I might even do a race this length again. We are considering going to California for back to back Spartan races in September so Eddie can get the Spartan Trifecta (completion of all 3 lengths of races). If we go we will sign Nate up for the kids' race one of the days. I think Nate is following in Eddie's footsteps for sure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment